- Sit on a straight-backed chair. Place your feet flat on the floor.
- Be comfortable, with a relaxed but straight back. Place your hands loosely in your lap. Close your eyes.
- Focus your mind on your breath as it flows in and out. Feel the rise and fall of your chest and stomach.
- When your mind wanders, bring it back to your breath. Be kind to yourself. Minds wander. It’s what they do. Realising that your mind has wandered and bringing it back to your breath is the meditation. It’s a little moment of mindfulness.
- After five or ten minutes, gently open your eyes and take in what you can see, hear, feel and smell.
It is good if you have a quiet corner where you can sit. If you start to fall asleep, open your eyes and then just lower them for meditation. You can do it for longer if you wish, but the habit is important, doing it every day for 5 minutes or more, and keeping up the habit. In that way, it becomes part of your life.
You may enjoy lighting a candle for meditation as it gives a peaceful atmosphere.